Editors note: Below is the first edition of the 2013 Section 1 softball rankings. As the season progresses, these lists will become more detailed and will be cultivated with the specific matchup results of the games played between the teams on the list as well as how they fare in their individual leagues.
2. John Jay-East Fishkill (8-1) Despite their 30+ game winning streak being snapped last year, the Patriots have displayed an extremely high pedigree.
3. Carmel (4-1) Kerri O’Connor’s lineup is ticking on all cylinders.
4. White Plains (4-1) The Tigers picked up a huge 3-2 win over Ursuline and recently downed Suffern 7-6 over the weekend. Danielle Sputo is, in the words of Debbie, “very, very gutsy.”
5. Ursuline (4-1) The Koalas three Division 1 players make them extremely formidable.
6. Eastchester (4-0) Kristin Martin and Danielle Cacciola are a Division 1 pairing that give Eastchester a chance to contend in Class A
7. Tappan Zee (3-2) (Dee Sinanaj shown right. Photo credit: Seth Harrison) Behind the arm of Pauline Gutkin and the bats of Sinanaj and Meagan Trozzo, the Dutchies will give most teams trouble.
8. Brewster (3-2) Expect more of the same magic that led the No. 7 Bears to the Section 1 final to be on display this year from coach Lisa Delzio’s squad.
9. Hen Hud (3-3) Cassidy Boyle is a superb offensive talent that will carry the Sailors far if freshman pitcher Gabby Caruso can continue to be effective.
10. Pearl River (X) (Caroline Kardashian shown below – Photo credit/Peter Carr) Mandy McCarthy’s arm anchors a group of six juniors that won a section title during their freshman season AND endured a crushing upset loss to Beacon last year.
On the bubble: Nanuet, Valhalla, Dobbs Ferry, Rye Neck, Haldane, Lourdes, Clarkstown South